Wednesday, February 08, 2006

His name is Mud

For my first 2 years of college, I had the so-called joy of attending Texas A&M; I refer to it now as my Dark Ages. They make a huge deal about following all the traditions that have been around since the start of the university or whatever. If you don't follow them, you're a bad Ag. One of these traditions was Howdy Week. This took place the first week of each semester, during which, if you made eye contact with anybody you were supposed to say "howdy" or "hello" or whatever. This was to further the notion that it was the friendliest of campuses and we all liked each other ever so much! It was also suggested that you don't have to quit saying "howdy" at the end of the week, but everyone did, returning to their cliques and not deigning to speak to those who didn't meet up to their standards. Personally, I found the majority of people there to be very shallow and fake. By no means was this everyone, but it was sure the major vibe I picked up on. And the hallowed traditions are, to me, just another way to hold on to the past with a vise-like grip, eschewing change and modernity (I think it was the 70s before women and integration happened, but don't quote me). So no surprise it was a conservative campus that's now home to the Bush I presidential library and gave us one-time Senator Phil Gramm.

And now George Carlton Deutsch III, yet another unqualified hack given a position to make sure science is cozied up to Dear Leader's politics. Heckuva job, Deutschie!

In all fairness though, I've got to point out that he got outed by an Aggie, who passed on the info to a scientific Aggie with a blog. I don't know their politics, but it doesn't sound like they're drinking the Kool-Aid.

1 Comments:

At 2/10/2006 11:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy week sounds like Hell week to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home