Friday, September 09, 2005

"George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People"

So says this song and so said Kanye West. I found it via this boingboing post. boingboing says it's a remix of Kanye West's song "Gold Digger" while FWMJ, the site that put up the mp3, says he produced it. Maybe both are true, I don't know, but the track does open with his now-infamous line from the Katrina telethon the other night.

Does G-Dub really not care about black people? Well, I'm about as white as they come so I can't say that I'm the best person to answer that. From the response to Katrina, one could make that argument, though the general incompetence exhibited by FEMA and Homeland Security throughout this catastrophe speaks volumes in and of itself. I do remember, during the '04 campaign, seeing a photo essay page entitled "Compassion" which consisted primarily of pictures of Bush with black people. There were maybe 2 that showed him with white people or another minority. This was either on the White House's page or the Bush/Cheney campaign page, but it's gone now.

I think he cares about them like he cares about the rest of us peons, as political fodder. He'll use each of us as much as he can to get what he wants. Concern for our well-being? Our rights as individuals, let alone Americans? Only so far as he can use them to accomplish his goals. I know, I know. I keep saying "his" like he's in charge. He couldn't be in charge of dropping quarters in a vending machine.

But back to the song. I like it. That it's a protest song against this carpetbagger only makes me like it more. Regardless of my belief in the song's theme/title, the words are true. A sampling:

Hurricane came thru fucked us up 'round here
Government actin' like it's bad luck down here
All I know is that you better bring some trucks 'round here
Wonder why I got my middle finger up right here

I got my middle finger up too.




1 Comments:

At 9/11/2005 09:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's accurate to say Bush doesn't care about poor people, more so than categorizing them by any race or even gender lines. Really, Bush doesn't care about people who aren't actually giant globs of money wearing cowboy hats. Oh, I s'pose if you wandered up to him with the proper fraternity handshake (palming him some money at the same time) and talked about biking or fishing, he'd care about you for a few minutes, and then mangle your name the next time he sees you at a party. There are no surprises here. We all know this guy. We all can't stand this guy unless he's too drunk to notice he's buying us all beer. And yet, some of use insist on forgetting again and again what a complete fucking idiot he is.
ugh... 2 1/2 more years. We'll all be swimming in sewage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home